Tuesday, March 29, 2011

the one that touched my heart

"I didn't think I dressed that bad"
"I've actually gotten written up for how I dress at work"
"Its hard for me to like other people because I don't like myself"
"I've just never thought about it"
"Now I understand why I can't get a good job or a good man"


I was watching an episode of What Not To Wear and I'm usually emotional over them because its amazing to see the change in a person when they go through this transformation. But this particular time really struck me.

It was a single mom who was dressing tough and lazy. She looked cheap. Above are the things she said at the beginning of the episode. I'm amazed at how many women settle with their appearance. Most people like to say others aren't even looking at them. Or, they hide. Or, they don't want to be judged. Stacy and Clinton are quick to remind them that its natural to be judged on appearance...we just are. You can't hide from it.

By the end of the transformation, this woman had really thought about everything and changed her ways. Now, I know its not "just" the new wardrobe that she had, but its the way those clothes made her feel. Wearing the right clothes can completely change how you feel, act, and how you are treated.

So, after the show here is what she said:

"I know my friends will be impressed with how I look now"
"I'm gonna have to pick a different type of guy to go out on a date like this with...I'm too good for those little punks anymore"
"I'm going to take the things I've learned and apply it to everyday life"
"Before the makeover I wasn't very confident, but now I am"
"I have respect for myself now where before I didn't have any. I used to fear that my son was going to leave me just like every other man has ever done. But now I know he's gonna love me forever. I have respect for myself now and he sees that and he's not going to leave me"

And my favorite thing she says, the one that really touched my heart:

"Im not going to put up with the booty calls and any of that. I'm going to demand what I'm worth."

Isn't that amazing? A new found strength. She is worth something. We all are. We all deserve respect and shouldn't settle for less. We were all meant to be somebody- not to just blend in and hope not to be noticed. I just think that was such a huge step and I got really excited for her. What a life changing experience for this woman! Not only for herself but the people around her. Especially, her son. He will respect her and other females now since his mom respects herself and expects respect from other men. She is improving their lives.

Yes, true beauty is on the inside...so make the outside match!

No comments:

Post a Comment