Wednesday, June 23, 2010

why do you buy?

One thing that I hear often is, "I got such a deal on this!" Problem is, they don't love it and its not them. Everything will eventually go on sale. Paying retail is ridiculous. (Though sometimes I have to admit it feels good). But when you buy something it should be because you love it and know that it would be a good addition in your closet. Watch it and wait. There are so many things I love at work...by the time it goes on sale I realize it wasn't as great as I originally thought. I just saved myself so much money! Take the $5 you spent on that shirt that was such a good deal. If you don't buy all those "deals" you'll save enough money to buy that one amazing piece that by now is on sale! Wait. Watch. And rethink it. Make sure you love it as much when you buy it as you did when it first hit the store/internet.

Now I am a little overboard clothing wise but I like to think of my clothes as part of my closet family. Will I take care of it? Will it make me feel confident (as my friend would say "ready to take on the world")? Or was it just CHEAP!? For years I bought things because there was a great sale. Then I end up with a pile of "OK" clothes that aren't even that wonderful. I believe in investing in your closet. When you shop, plan outfits. I ask myself "what will this go with?" which sometimes works. However, its nice to buy one outfit at time (or a couple) but to have a complete outfit and then you can mix and match it later. Save up and buy seasonally. Now, I do buy sale items alone and not planned because I know it will be the best match for an outfit at home. And because its fun. But please don't just buy something because its cheap!! It probably won't do you any good. Buy because you are in love with that piece or pieces. That way you won't regret it. You will actually save yourself money and closet space.

Finally, when holding that crazy cheap sale item, ask yourself if you love it enough that you would've bought it retail. Chances are you'll know right then if its worth it and if it will be a good addition to the "family".

Now, shop with confidence!

2 comments:

  1. So true. It makes me want to go to my closet family and get rid of a few black cheap, I mean "sheep." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Cathy! Yes, it feels so much better to get rid of things you don't wear or don't love. It really gives you more space and cuts down your decision making time!

    ReplyDelete