Sunday, November 7, 2010

Buy or Borrow...ask a friend


I was very lucky to find a job where I love what I do and who I work with. Its funny though, how we all ask each other for fashion advice even though we are all in the business. Everyone needs a second opinion!

I had an event to go to for Faith's school. It was "party attire". So, that means less than cocktail but a little more than just any old party. I knew what would qualify in that category but obviously had to ask the professionals. I am the youngest mom at this school (by a few years too!) and work in fashion. I wanted my outfit to say that without screaming it. I had a seperates picture in my mind. I really wanted a sequin skirt and plain top. But I didn't have one. So, where do I turn to?? Personal shoppers!! Luckily, I have two of them that I am close to and they were ready and willing to share the wealth! I saw a sequin pencil skirt but my friend said it was too old for me. I agreed. Then there was a dress that was perfect for this occassion but it wasn't on sale and it would've been pretty pricey! So, between the two ladies who shared their own clothes, I had 7 things to choose from. Some were too dressy, some were too old, and some were not right for this occasion (Ali's Miami dress....)

But one day Alli got a hold of a return at the store....a gorgeous sequin skirt. She automatically said I could borrow it...actually she said I will borrow it! Now, I absolutely loved all I tried on but this one skirt was destined to be the one for the night.

As part of my love and talent in the industry I have a natural idea of what will work and what won't and once I had the idea of the skirt in mind, I couldn't let it go. It was the perfect combination of young and stylish. It was fun and I felt great in it. It made for a more fun time at the gala.

Don't be afraid to ask for advice....and maybe to borrow something from a friend. There was no way I could afford to buy the only other option in my head. Thank goodness for friends and their fabulous clothes. (and their extreme honesty!!) It doesn't have to cost a lot to look amazing. And you don't have to let go of that image in your head of the perfect outfit.

Thanks to Alli A and Maria. You guys made this such a fun experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment