Thursday, January 6, 2011

Be Prepared

It can be exhausting at times, to look your best. Awhile ago I posted about trying not to wear sweats out of the house. On the same kind of note, you might want to just dress prepared. In the past couple months here is what I have run into:

1)A customer that I was helping admitted to me, "You know we check you girls out right? When I come in I scan the store to see who seems put together, then I ask for their help. You looked so put together, I knew you could help me. I have no idea what I am doing but from the way you looked, I knew I could trust what you'd say."

What a compliment! Now there are days that I don't feel like looking "put together". I'm sorry but when my kid has accidents and I haven't slept...the last thing I feel I can do is look top of my game. Its just hard and adds to my exhaustion! But once I do it, I feel good and just look at how it appeared to that other person!

2)A girl I went to high school with was shopping at the store. Let me back this up a bit. I hated high school. I was not fashionable or popular. I was stuck in that middle crowd, kinda cool, but not at the top with the lacrosse girls and football jocks. I was almost there but not quite. I dread running into people I used to know because it brings back all that crap that we put ourselves through. But we are different people now so I thought, well hey it can't be that bad!
So, here it is, the "popular" girl came in and I talked to her. I felt fine because I was put together well. I didn't have to think, "Oh gee she got me on my carefree day". It was just nice knowing I didn't have to put myself down because of my appearance. I always feel confident in who I am when I dress properly.

3)I ran into old family friends that I hadn't seen in years. Again, just feeling confident that I was showing my best side felt good. I know these people don't care how I look but its nice to feel that I was presentable and again, not caught in the, "If I had only cared enough to dress today!" thoughts.

You never know who you'll run into. Famous people do come into the store and I realize this might sound bad, but you never know where that could take you! I want to look my best because I am representing this store, and how I feel about myself and my position. Regardless though if someone is famous or not, I like to be most presentable. Even if its a struggle. I want to look like I am actually taking myself seriously.
I want to reenforce the try a little harder approach. I know you're tired and it can be a lot of work but how much extra time does it really take to go from feeling sloppy to completely presentable and confident? The amount of time it takes is worth the feeling.

So be prepared....you never know who you might run into!

1 comment:

  1. I've been making sure that I at least have my hair and make up done and something semi-nice on recently. You never know when you'll go into labor! :-)

    ReplyDelete