Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Your Closet: love whats in it

My clothes wore me one day. I should've worn them. I felt really good about what I wore until I got to the mall and realized it wasn't fitting for me that day. It wasn't as much my style as it was a style I liked from someone else. I felt really discouraged. So, I have made a plan...a challenge for myself. I am going to clean out my closet and stop buying for awhile. So far its been a healthy experience. I am on a mission to find what is really right for me instead of taking styles from other people.

START CLEARING:
One thing you cannot compromise is size/fit.
Make sure the shoulders are where they are supposed to be. Thats a huge red flag when its not on your shoulder! Pockets on pants should be tucked in or if they are slit pockets, should sit flush on your hips (not popping off)
I am holding on to things in case I will fit in them again. But then I took another look. Its not doing me any good just hanging in my closet. I either have the wrong colors, wrong size, or I just don't love it. Figure it out and don't hold on to things if they just take up space in your closet....they don't pay rent!

CATEGORIZE:
Start by putting similar things together. For example: in my closet I have dressy tanks in a section, then non-silky tanks, then shirts with the sleeve lengths getting longer. Then I have button-down shirts, cardigans, jackets, skirts, pants then dresses.
Now that you have everything categorized make them color organized. Think warm to cool or cool to warm. Think of the rainbow and make one with every section. It'll help you see what you have of each style and if you overbuy a particular color.

GET RID OF IT!
I tried consigning at the beginning of summer and made over $50. My stuff was worth more than that but then I thought, hey thats $50 that I didn't have and I am not missing the clothes that either don't fit me or weren't right for me to begin with! So I am taking my $50 and saving it. Once I have gone over my closet I will then go shopping for a new fall wardrobe. :)

I can't wait to post some of my new things! And I challenge you to go through your closet and maybe make some money off the things that maybe wear you instead of you wearing them. Good luck!


2 comments:

  1. So funny that I just cleaned out my closest! 2 overflowing trashbags of clothes! Honestly, I don't think anything would be able to be consigned...most was old sweatshirts and sweatpants. Not much with brand labels, so I figure that I will donate them and someone else will be able to benefit from them! My recent philosophy has been not to buy something unless I can get rid of something. We'll see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on cleaning it out! I was just about to let you know too of a party I do. My friends come over and bring a bunch of clothes, accessories, shoes, you name it and all us girls just go through it and take what we want. Thats what I do with things that won't consign...its fun because even though its old for you- its new to me! Of course donating it is awesome too :)

    ReplyDelete